Facts about ankylosing spondylitis:
- About 1 out of every 1,000 people in the US has ankylosing spondylitis.
- Ankylosing spondylitis is about 3 times more common in males than females.
- Ankylosing spondylitis is also more common in Caucasians than African Americans.
- Ankylosing spondylitis begins between the ages of 20 and 40 years.
Continue to Spondylitis Risk Factors
- Reveille JD, Arnett FC. Spondyloarthritis: update on pathogenesis and management. Am J Med. 2005 Jun;118(6):592-603. 
- Zochling J, Braun J. Management and treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005 Jul;17(4):418-25. 
- Zochling J, van der Heijde D, Dougados M, Braun J. Current evidence for the management of ankylosing spondylitis a systematic literature review for the asas/eular management recommendations in ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2005 Aug 26.