Overview Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor Home Care pain in adults pain in children warning signs Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Anatomy
Tests are not necessary to make the diagnosis of skin foreign body.
Tests that may be used to evaluate skin foreign body include:
- Surgical exploration of the wound:
- To look for injuries to structures beneath the skin
- X-rays of the foreign body
- Ultrasound of the foreign body
- MRI of the foreign body
For more information:
Continue to Splinter Treatment
PubMed Splinter References
- Nassif JM, Gorczyca JT, Vanarthos WJ. Unrecognized foreign body in the hip joint. J Orthop Trauma. 1996;10(3):216-9. 
- O'Dell ML. Skin and wound infections: an overview. Am Fam Physician. 1998 May 15;57(10):2424-32. 
- Vincent A, Jenkins DW. Retained digital foreign body after a pellet gun injury. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2000 Feb;90(2):103-6.