Sore Knee Overview
Another name for Sore Knee is Knee Pain.
What is knee pain?
A person with knee pain has discomfort in the structures of the knee. Knee pain may be due to injury, inflammation or infection. The causes of knee pain can vary according to age. For example, knee pain in a teenager may be caused by Osgood Schlatter disease, while knee pain in an elderly person may have knee pain due to osteoarthritis.
What are the symptoms of knee pain?
Symptoms that occur with knee pain include knee swelling, knee tenderness, and bruising of the knee. Additional symptoms that may occur with knee pain include fever, severe knee pain, and redness of the skin overlying the knee joint.
How does the doctor treat knee pain?
Treatment for knee pain depends on the underlying cause. Treatment may include rest, elevation, cold compresses, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Additional treatment for knee pain may include antibiotics, crutches, and an elastic wrap to the knee.
Continue to Sore Knee Symptoms
- Fredericson M, Yoon K. Physical examination and patellofemoral pain syndrome. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2006 Mar;85(3):234-43. 
- Gana TJ, Pascual ML, Fleming RR, Schein JR, Janagap CC, Xiang J, Vorsanger GJ; The 023 Study Group. Extended-release tramadol in the treatment of osteoarthritis: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Curr Med Res Opin. 2006 Jul;22(7):1391-401. 
- Garnett WR. GI effects of OTC analgesics: implications for product selection. J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash). 1996 Sep;NS36(9):565-72. 
- Jackson JL, O'Malley PG, Kroenke K. Evaluation of acute knee pain in primary care. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Oct 7;139(7):575-88. 
- Jordan K, Jinks C, Croft P. A prospective study of the consulting behaviour of older people with knee pain. Br J Gen Pract. 2006 Apr;56(525):269-76. 
- Khan Z, Faruqui Z, Ogyunbiyi O, Rosset G, Iqbal J. Ultrasound assessment of internal derangement of the knee. Acta Orthop Belg. 2006 Jan;72(1):72-6. 
- Mitchell HL, Carr AJ, Scott DL. The management of knee pain in primary care: factors associated with consulting the GP and referrals to secondary care. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006 Jun;45(6):771-6. 
- Post WR. Anterior knee pain: diagnosis and treatment. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2005 Dec;13(8):534-43. 
- Rose NE, Gold SM. A comparison of accuracy between clinical examination and magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of meniscal and anterior cruciate ligament tears. Arthroscopy. 1996 Aug;12(4):398-405. 
- Scharf HP, Mansmann U, Streitberger K, Witte S, Kramer J, Maier C, Trampisch HJ, Victor N. Acupuncture and knee osteoarthritis: a three-armed randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2006 Jul 4;145(1):12-20.