Skin Wound Overview
What is a skin wound?
A person with a skin wound has an opening in the skin due to an injury. Common skin wounds include puncture wounds, abrasions, lacerations, burns, and animal bites.
What are the symptoms of a skin wound?
Symptoms of a skin wound may include pain, bleeding, tenderness, bruising, swelling, numbness around the wound, or a foreign body in the wound.
How does the doctor treat a skin wound?
Treatment for a skin wound may include rinsing, cleaning, and exploring the wound. Dirt and foreign material must be removed from the wound before it is repaired. Additional treatment for a skin wound may include antibiotics, tetanus vaccination, or surgery.
Continue to Skin Wound Symptoms
- Hess CT. The art of skin and wound care documentation. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2005 Jan-Feb;18(1):43-53. 
- Hogg K, Carley S. Towards evidence based emergency medicine: best BETs from the Manchester Royal Infirmary. Staples or sutures for repair of scalp laceration in adults. Emerg Med J. 2002 Jul;19(4):327-8. 
- Mattick A, Clegg G, Beattie T, Ahmad T. A randomised, controlled trial comparing a tissue adhesive (2-octylcyanoacrylate) with adhesive strips (Steristrips) for paediatric laceration repair. Emerg Med J. 2002 Sep;19(5):405-7. 
- Norman D. The effects of age-related skin changes on wound healing rates. J Wound Care. 2004 May;13(5):199-201. 
- O'Dell ML. Skin and wound infections: an overview. Am Fam Physician. 1998 May 15;57(10):2424-32. 
- Singer AJ, Giordano P, Fitch JL, Gulla J, Ryker D, Chale S. Evaluation of a new high-viscosity octylcyanoacrylate tissue adhesive for laceration repair: a randomized, clinical trial. Acad Emerg Med. 2003 Oct;10(10):1134-7. 
- Singer AJ, Quinn JV, Thode HC Jr, Hollander JE; TraumaSeal Study Group. Determinants of poor outcome after laceration and surgical incision repair. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002 Aug;110(2):429-35.