Skin Cancer Melanoma Incidence
Facts about malignant melanoma:
- Melanoma is the sixth most common cause of cancer in the US.
- One in seventy people will develop melanoma in their lifetime.
- About 1 out of 20,000 people have melanoma.
- The incidence of melanoma is increasing.
- Melanoma rates are rising faster than any cancer in men and are second only to lung cancer in women.
- Over the age of 40 melanoma is more common in men than in women.
- From birth to age 39 melanoma is more common in women.
- The median age for diagnosis is 53 years
Continue to Skin Cancer Melanoma Risk Factors
- Brown TJ, Nelson BR. Malignant melanoma: a clinical review. Cutis. 1999 May;63(5):275-8, 281-4. 
- Ruiz-Maldonado R, Orozco-Covarrubias ML. Malignant melanoma in children. A review. Arch Dermatol. 1997 Mar;133(3):363-71. 
- Schuchter LM. Review of the 2001 AJCC staging system for cutaneous malignant melanoma. Curr Oncol Rep. 2001 Jul;3(4):332-7.