Skin Burn Outlook
What to expect with burns:
- First degree burns usually heal with little or no scarring or complications.
- Deeper burns are more likely to cause scarring.
- Superficial second degree burns usually heal in 2-3 weeks.
- Death rates from burns are highest in children under 4, and in the elderly.
- Most deaths from fires are due to smoke inhalation.
Continue to Skin Burn Underlying Cause
- Allison K, Porter K. Consensus on the prehospital approach to burns patient management. Emerg Med J. 2004 Jan;21(1):112-4. 
- Drago DA. Kitchen scalds and thermal burns in children five years and younger. Pediatrics. 2005 Jan;115(1):10-6. 
- Phillips BJ, Kassir A, Anderson B, Schiller WR. Recreational-outdoor burns: the impact and severity--a retrospective review of 107 patients. Burns. 1998 Sep;24(6):559-61. 
- Smith MA, Munster AM, Spence RJ. Burns of the hand and upper limb--a review. Burns. 1998 Sep;24(6):493-505.