Prevention of SIDS may include:
- Place the infant on his or her back to sleep.
- Avoid over-bundling the infant:
- Cover the infant loosely with a blanket.
- Avoid soft sleep surfaces, such as:
- Thick mattress pads
- A pacifier may lower the risk of SIDS.
- Do not place objects in the crib.
- Place the infant in a crib to sleep:
- Do not sleep with the infant in your bed.
- Avoid exposing the infant to smoke.
- Use a home apnea monitor:
- As directed by your physician.
Continue to SIDS Underlying Cause
- Chen A, Rogan WJ. Breastfeeding and the risk of postneonatal death in the United States. Pediatrics. 2004 May;113(5):e435-9. 
- Hall KL, Zalman B. Evaluation and management of apparent life-threatening events in children. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jun 15;71(12):2301-8. 
- Malloy MH, MacDorman M. Changes in the classification of sudden unexpected infant deaths: United States, 1992-2001. Pediatrics. 2005 May;115(5):1247-53. 
- Nelson EA, Yu LM, Williams S; International Child Care Practices Study Group Members. International Child Care Practices study: breastfeeding and pacifier use. J Hum Lact. 2005 Aug;21(3):289-95. 
- Okada K, Miyako M, Honma S, Wakabayashi Y, Sugihara S, Osawa M. Discharge diagnoses in infants with apparent life-threatening event. Pediatr Int. 2003 Oct;45(5):560-3.