Sickle Cell Crisis Incidence
Facts about sickle cell anemia:
- One out of 500 African-American babies born in the US has sickle cell anemia.
- One out of 1000 Hispanic babies born in the US has sickle cell anemia.
- About 1 out of every 10 African-Americans carries the gene for sickle cell.
- Races with increased risk for sickle cell include:
- African American
- Central American
- East Indian
- Middle Eastern
- South American
Continue to Sickle Cell Crisis Risk Factors
- Ander DS, Vallee PA. Diagnostic evaluation for infectious etiology of sickle cell pain crisis. Am J Emerg Med. 1997 May;15(3):290-2. 
- Fletcher C. Appraisal and coping with vaso-occlusive crisis in adolescents with sickle cell disease. Pediatr Nurs. 2000 May-Jun;26(3):319-24. 
- Johnson L. Managing acute and chronic pain in sickle cell disease. Nurs Times. 2005 Feb 22-28;101(8):40-3. 
- Miller JA, Hinrichs CR. Sickle cell crisis in the adult: chest radiographic findings and comparison with pediatric sickle cell disease. J Natl Med Assoc. 2001 Feb;93(2):58-63. 
- Silbergleit R, Jancis MO, McNamara RM. Management of sickle cell pain crisis in the emergency department at teaching hospitals. J Emerg Med. 1999 Jul-Aug;17(4):625-30. 
- Yale SH, Nagib N, Guthrie T. Approach to the vaso-occlusive crisis in adults with sickle cell disease. Am Fam Physician. 2000 Mar 1;61(5):1349-56, 1363-4.