Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Warning Signs Complications Underlying Cause Types
Shocked by Lightning Types
There are three types of lightning injuries:
- Direct lightning strike:
- The lightning bolt strikes the person before striking another object.
- Most serious type of strike
- Side flash:
- The lightning bolt strikes another object, and then strikes the person.
- Ground current:
- Lightning strikes an object, and then the electrical current travels through the ground, to a person.
PubMed Shocked by Lightning References
- Adekoya N, Nolte KB. Struck-by-lightning deaths in the United States. J Environ Health. 2005 May;67(9):45-50, 58. 
- Cherington M. Spectrum of neurologic complications of lightning injuries. NeuroRehabilitation. 2005;20(1):3-8. 
- Selvaggi G, Monstrey S, Van Landuyt K, Hamdi M, Blondeel P. Rehabilitation of burn injured patients following lightning and electrical trauma. NeuroRehabilitation. 2005;20(1):35-42. 
- Zafren K, Durrer B, Herry JP, Brugger H; ICAR and UIAA MEDCOM. Lightning injuries: prevention and on-site treatment in mountains and remote areas. Official guidelines of the International Commission for Mountain Emergency Medicine and the Medical Commission of the International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation (ICAR and UIAA MEDCOM). Resuscitation. 2005 Jun;65(3):369-72.