Shigella Enteritis Transmission
A shigella infection is spread by:
- Most cases of shigella infection are caused by eating contaminated food.
- Bacteria can be present in food and water.
- A shigella infection can spread through contact with the stool of an infected person.
- Those who are infected may not develop symptoms for several days.
- During this time, the infection can spread.
- Those with a shigella infection are not contagious after 48 hours of antibiotic therapy.
Continue to Shigella Enteritis Anatomy
- Bhattacharya SK, Sur D. An evaluation of current shigellosis treatment. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2003 Aug;4(8):1315-20. 
- Gupta A, Polyak CS, Bishop RD, Sobel J, Mintz ED. Laboratory-confirmed shigellosis in the United States, 1989-2002: epidemiologic trends and patterns. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 May 15;38(10):1372-7. 
- Lee LA, Shapiro CN, Hargrett-Bean N, Tauxe RV. Hyperendemic shigellosis in the United States: a review of surveillance data for 1967-1988. J Infect Dis. 1991 Nov;164(5):894-900. 
- Niyogi SK. Shigellosis. J Microbiol. 2005 Apr;43(2):133-43.