Sedative Abuse Types
The most commonly abused medications are:
- Medications for insomnia
- Medications for anxiety
- Medications for depression
- Narcotic pain medication:
The most commonly abused street drugs are:
- Angel dust
- Ice abuse
- Speed abuse
Sedative Abuse GHB
Gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB) is a natural chemical in the brain.
The drug is used for:
Sedative Abuse Hallucinogens
Hallucinations are seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not real. Hallucinogenic drugs cause a dream-like state. These drugs can cause flashbacks, which are hallucinations long after having taken the drug.
Types of hallucinogens include:
- Angel dust
Sedative Abuse Marijuana
Marijuana and hashish are the most commonly abused street drugs. Both of these drugs come from the plant, cannabis. This drug can be smoked or eaten.
Sedative Abuse Narcotics
Narcotic drugs are used to treat pain.
Types of narcotic pain medications:
Sedative Abuse Sedatives
Sedative Abuse Stimulants
Stimulants cause the body and mind to be overactive or excited.
Types of stimulants include:
- Galea S, Nandi A, Vlahov D. The social epidemiology of substance use. Epidemiol Rev. 2004;26:36-52. 
- Isaacson JH, Hopper JA, Alford DP, Parran T. Prescription drug use and abuse. Risk factors, red flags, and prevention strategies. Postgrad Med. 2005 Jul;118(1):19-26. 
- Karch SB. Cocaine cardiovascular toxicity. South Med J. 2005 Aug;98(8):794-9. 
- Mattick RP, Kimber J, Breen C, Davoli M. Buprenorphine maintenance versus placebo or methadone maintenance for opioid dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(3):CD002207. 
- Skiba D, Monroe J, Wodarski JS. Adolescent substance use: reviewing the effectiveness of prevention strategies. Soc Work. 2004 Jul;49(3):343-53.