Scrotal Varices Treatment
Most varicoceles do not require treatment. Treatment for severe varicoceles may include surgery.
Treatment for a varicocele may include:
- Scrotal support:
- In order to reduce swelling
- Surgery for a varicocele:
- To remove the swollen veins from the scrotum
Scrotal Varices Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of varicocele.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having another varicocele?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Scrotal Varices Specialist
Continue to Scrotal Varices Home Care
- Adelman WP, Joffe A. Controversies in male adolescent health: varicocele, circumcision, and testicular self-examination. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2004 Aug;16(4):363-7. 
- Delaney DP, Carr MC, Kolon TF, Snyder HM 3rd, Zderic SA. The physical characteristics of young males with varicocele. BJU Int. 2004 Sep;94(4):624-6. 
- Orhan I, Onur R, Semercioz A, Firdolas F, Ardicoglu A, Koksal IT. Comparison of two different microsurgical methods in the treatment of varicocele. Arch Androl. 2005 May-Jun;51(3):213-20. 
- Zucchi A, Mearini L, Mearini E, Costantini E, Bini V, Porena M. Treatment of varicocele: randomized prospective study on open surgery versus Tauber antegrade sclerotherapy. J Androl. 2005 May-Jun;26(3):328-32.