Scalp Lice Home Care
- Do not share personal care items:
- Sterilize combs and brushes in boiling water.
- Family members should be checked for lice.
- Sexual partners should be treated for lice.
- Take an oral antihistamine for itching:
- Use insecticide lotion or shampoo as directed.
- Use a nit comb to help remove dead eggs from the hair.
- Wash clothes and linens in very hot, soapy water every day.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Scalp Lice Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have head lice and any of the following:
Continue to Scalp Lice Prevention
- Hansen RC. Overview: the state of head lice management and control. Am J Manag Care. 2004 Sep;10(9 Suppl):S260-3. 
- Hill N, Moor G, Cameron MM, Butlin A, Preston S, Williamson MS, Bass C. Single blind, randomised, comparative study of the Bug Buster kit and over the counter pediculicide treatments against head lice in the United Kingdom. BMJ. 2005 Aug 13;331(7513):384-7. 
- West DP. Head lice treatment costs and the impact on managed care. Am J Manag Care. 2004 Sep;10(9 Suppl):S277-82.