Scalp Flaking Treatment
Treatment for mild dandruff includes daily cleansing with a shampoo that removes oils and dead skin cells. If regular shampoo does not work, then daily cleansing with an over-the-counter medicated shampoo will usually reduce symptoms. For severe cases of dandruff, treatment may include antifungal shampoo or lotions.
Treatment for dandruff includes:
- Clean your hair and scalp thoroughly every day.
- Dandruff shampoos that contain salicylic acid:
- Helps remove dead layers of skin from the scalp.
- Dandruff shampoos that contain selenium sulfide:
- Reduces skin growth on the scalp to reduce flaking
- Dandruff shampoos that contain sulfur:
- Helps reduce the amount of oil made by the scalp
- Antifungal shampoo:
Continue to Scalp Flaking Home Care
- Georgalas A. Enhanced delivery of an anti-dandruff active in a shampoo vehicle. J Cosmet Sci. 2004;55 Suppl:S207-14. 
- McGrath J, Murphy GM. The control of seborrhoeic dermatitis and dandruff by antipityrosporal drugs. Drugs. 1991 Feb;41(2):178-84. 
- Pierard-Franchimont C, Hermanns JF, Degreef H, Pierard GE. From axioms to new insights into dandruff. Dermatology. 2000;200(2):93-8.