Sarcoma Kaposi's Diet
A person with Kaposi's sarcoma may benefit from a special diet. A healthy diet provides the body with energy, protein and nutrients needed to maintain a strong immune system.
You must consume enough calories to maintain your body weight. When you are ill, you may require twice the number of calories than usual. Weigh yourself daily and record the values in a log, in order to determine if you are consuming enough calories.
You may experience a decrease in appetite, taste changes, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. In addition, thrush or mouth sores may result in uncomfortable or painful chewing and swallowing. It is important to know how to make eating easier and to ensure adequate nutrition.
Nutritional Goals in HIV and AIDS
- Maintain your weight.
- Consume a high calorie, high protein diet.
- Take a multivitamin with minerals, but do not take large doses of vitamins.
- Avoid fad diets.
Tips on Increasing Your Caloric Intake
- Include 2 or 3 snacks in your daily meal plan
- Add milk, honey, sugar, margarine, oil and gravy to your food.
- Add dry milk powder to mashed potatoes, casseroles, soups and pudding.
- Drink whole milk or half-and-half rather than low fat milk.
- Spread peanut butter on toast, waffles, bananas or apples.
- Use sour cream, mayonnaise, whipped cream and jelly.
- Add cheese to scrambled eggs, sandwiches, hamburgers, and vegetables.
- Snack on nuts, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and hard candies.
- Try instant breakfast drinks or supplements.
Continue to Sarcoma Kaposi's Pain in Adults
- Aversa SM, Cattelan AM, Salvagno L, Crivellari G, Banna G, Trevenzoli M, Chiarion-Sileni V, Monfardini S. Treatments of AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2005 Mar;53(3):253-65. 
- Barillari G, Sgadari C, Toschi E, Monini P, Ensoli B. HIV protease inhibitors as new treatment options for Kaposi's sarcoma. Drug Resist Updat. 2003 Aug;6(4):173-81. 
- Dittmer DP, Vahrson W, Staudt M, Hilscher C, Fakhari FD. Kaposi's sarcoma in the era of HAART-an update on mechanisms, diagnostics and treatment. AIDS Rev. 2005 Jan-Mar;7(1):56-61. 
- Gallafent JH, Buskin SE, De Turk PB, Aboulafia DM. Profile of patients with Kaposi's sarcoma in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Feb 20;23(6):1253-60. 
- Schwartz RA. Kaposi's sarcoma: an update. J Surg Oncol. 2004 Sep 1;87(3):146-51.