Sarcoma Ewing's Side Effects
Tips to control nausea and vomiting in someone with Ewing's sarcoma include:
- Avoid stomach irritants such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Avoid exposure to unpleasant odors.
- Drink cool beverages throughout the day. Try un-sweetened tea or flat sodas.
- Don't force yourself to eat at standard times. Eat when you are hungry instead.
- Concentrate on eating a healthy diet. Avoid junk foods.
- Eat more frequent, smaller meals.
- Relax in comfortable clothes after meals, but don't lie flat.
- Try relaxation techniques such as meditation.
- Ask your doctor or nutritionist about liquid dietary supplements.
- Ask your doctor about acupressure or acupuncture.
- Ask your doctor if any medications you may be taking can cause nausea or vomiting.
- Take any prescribed medications as directed. Medications used for nausea and vomiting due to chemotherapy include:
Irritation of the lining of the mouth and intestinal tract is called mucositis. Home care measures for mucositis include:
- Stop smoking
- Avoid hot, spicy and irritating foods.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Maintain good oral and dental hygiene with daily brushing, flossing and regular visits to your dentist.
- Try a soft diet.
- Try Chloraseptic or Cepacol spray, gargles or lozenges.
- Try Orabase B or Oral Balance topical dental paste.
- Try rinsing your mouth or gargling several times a day with a solution of one of the following:
- Salt water
- Baking soda
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) elixir or lozenges
- Dilute chlorhexidine (Peridex or Periogard) solution
- Dilute milk of magnesia or Maalox
- Use any prescribed medications for mucositis as directed. These may include:
Continue to Sarcoma Ewing's Taking Control
- Ahmad R, Mayol BR, Davis M, Rougraff BT. Extraskeletal Ewing's sarcoma. Cancer. 1999 Feb 1;85(3):725-31. 
- Carvajal R, Meyers P. Ewing's sarcoma and primitive neuroectodermal family of tumors. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2005 Jun;19(3):501-25, vi-vii. 
- Clarkson P, Ferguson PC. Primary multidisciplinary management of extremity soft tissue sarcomas. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2004 Dec;5(6):451-62. 
- Valery PC, Holly EA, Sleigh AC, Williams G, Kreiger N, Bain C. Hernias and Ewing's sarcoma family of tumours: a pooled analysis and meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2005 Jul;6(7):485-90.