There is no cure for sarcoidosis. Treatment depends on organ involvement and the severity of disease. The treatment for sarcoidosis often includes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, oral corticosteroid medications, and other medications that suppress the immune system. A small number may benefit from surgery.
Treatment for sarcoidosis may include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Ibuprin, Advil)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Oral corticosteroid medications:
- Medications that suppress the immune system:
- Methotrexate (Folex PFS, Rheumatrex)
- Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)
- Azathioprine (Imuran)
- Infliximab (Remicade)
- Surgery for sarcoidosis:
- Lung transplantation
Sarcoidosis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of sarcoidosis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for worsening sarcoidosis?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat sarcoidosis:
Continue to Sarcoidosis Home Care
- Belfer MH, Stevens RW. Sarcoidosis: a primary care review. Am Fam Physician. 1998 Dec;58(9):2041-50, 2055-6. 
- Cox CE, Davis-Allen A, Judson MA. Sarcoidosis. Med Clin North Am. 2005 Jul;89(4):817-28. 
- Paramothayan S, Jones PW. Corticosteroid therapy in pulmonary sarcoidosis: a systematic review. JAMA. 2002 Mar 13;287(10):1301-7.