Salmonella Gastroenteritis Vomiting in Adults
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Continue to Salmonella Gastroenteritis Vomiting in Children
- Hohmann EL. Nontyphoidal salmonellosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2001 Jan 15;32(2):263-9. 
- Rabsch W, Tschape H, Baumler AJ. Non-typhoidal salmonellosis: emerging problems. Microbes Infect. 2001 Mar;3(3):237-47. 
- Trevejo RT, Courtney JG, Starr M, Vugia DJ. Epidemiology of salmonellosis in California, 1990-1999: morbidity, mortality, and hospitalization costs. Am J Epidemiol. 2003 Jan 1;157(1):48-57.