Salivary Gland Cancer Incidence
Facts about parotid carcinoma:
- Parotid carcinoma is a very rare cancer.
- About 1 out of every 5 parotid tumors is malignant: the cancer tends to spread to other organs.
- The most common malignant parotid carcinoma in adults is mucoepidermoid carcinoma.
- Most cases of parotid carcinoma occur in those between the ages of 30 and 70 years.
- Parotid carcinoma may occur in children, but it is very rare.
Continue to Salivary Gland Cancer Risk Factors
- Depowski PL, Setzen G, Chui A, Koltai PJ, Dollar J, Ross JS. Familial occurrence of acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid gland. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1999 Nov;123(11):1118-20. 
- Ellies M, Schaffranietz F, Arglebe C, Laskawi R. Tumors of the salivary glands in childhood and adolescence. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006 Jul;64(7):1049-58. 
- Tavora F, Rassaei N, Shilo K, Foss RD, Galvin JR, Travis WD, Franks TJ. Occult primary parotid gland acinic cell adenocarcinoma presenting with extensive lung metastasis. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007 Jun;131(6):970-3.