Ruptured Membranes Overview
What are ruptured membranes?
A woman with ruptured membranes has broken water, which occurs just before she delivers her baby. A thin membrane, called the amniotic sac, surrounds the fetus during pregnancy. The membrane also holds clear fluid that protects the fetus during pregnancy. When the thin membrane breaks, the fluid drains from around the fetus. Usually, labor starts soon after rupture of the membranes. A woman with premature rupture of membranes has broken water before the 37th week of pregnancy.
What are the symptoms of ruptured membranes?
The most common symptom of ruptured membranes includes clear fluid leaking from the vagina. In some cases, the fluid may briefly gush, or flow, from the vagina. Symptoms that may occur with premature rupture of membranes include lower abdominal pain, vaginal discharge, vaginal bleeding, or back pain.
How does the doctor treat ruptured membranes?
Treatment is not required for ruptured membranes. After the membranes rupture, labor usually starts and the baby is born. Treatment for ruptured membranes may include fetal monitoring, antibiotics, and medications that stimulate contractions.
Continue to Ruptured Membranes Symptoms
- Blenning CE, Paladine H. An approach to the postpartum office visit. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Dec 15;72(12):2491-6. 
- Condous GS, Arulkumaran S. Medical and conservative surgical management of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2003 Nov;25(11):931-6. 
- Magann EF, Evans S, Hutchinson M, Collins R, Lanneau G, Morrison JC. Postpartum hemorrhage after cesarean delivery: an analysis of risk factors. South Med J. 2005 Jul;98(7):681-5. 
- Malamitsi-Puchner A, Boutsikou T. Adolescent pregnancy and perinatal outcome. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2006 Jan;3 Suppl 1:170-1. 
- Nanda K, Peloggia A, Grimes D, Lopez L, Nanda G. Expectant care versus surgical treatment for miscarriage. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Apr 19;(2):CD003518. 
- Ozkaya O, Sezik M, et al. Placebo-controlled randomized comparison of vaginal with rectal misoprostol in the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2005 Oct;31(5):389-93. 
- Tierney JP, Welsh J, Owen P; Effective Gynaecology in Glasgow Group. Management of early pregnancy loss--a complete audit cycle. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Apr;26(3):229-32. 
- Vitzthum VJ, Spielvogel H, Thornburg J, West B. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss in humans. Fertil Steril. 2006 Aug;86(2):373-9.