Ruptured Disk in the Neck Treatment
Treatment for disk disease in the neck is based on severity. Treatment may include cold compresses to neck, massage therapy, neck brace, muscle relaxants, oral corticosteroids, ultrasound therapy, physical therapy, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Some may benefit from disk surgery.
Treatment for disk disease in the neck may include:
- Cold compresses for pain
- Warm compresses for stiffness
- Massage therapy for the neck
- Neck brace:
- Use only as directed by your doctor
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Narcotic pain medication
- Oral corticosteroids:
- Muscle relaxants:
- Ultrasonic therapy for the neck
- Physical therapy for the neck
- Surgery for disk disease in the neck
For more information:
Ruptured Disk in the Neck Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of disk disease in the neck.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Ruptured Disk in the Neck Specialist
Continue to Ruptured Disk in the Neck Home Care
- Bertagnoli R, Duggal N, Pickett GE, Wigfield CC, Gill SS, Karg A, Voigt S. Cervical total disc replacement, part two: clinical results. Orthop Clin North Am. 2005 Jul;36(3):355-62. 
- Heller JG, Schimandle JH. Operative treatment of degenerative cervical disk disease. J South Orthop Assoc. 1996 Fall;5(3):188-206. 
- Schimandle JH, Heller JG. Nonoperative treatment of degenerative cervical disk disease. J South Orthop Assoc. 1996 Fall;5(3):207-12.