Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Overview
Another name for Ruptured Brain Aneurysm is Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.
What is a subarachnoid hemorrhage?
A person with a subarachnoid hemorrhage has bleeding in the space between the brain and the lining that covers the brain, called the arachnoid. Causes of subarachnoid hemorrhage include an arteriovenous malformation, a cerebral aneurysm, and a head injury. About 1 out of 10,000 people develop a subarachnoid hemorrhage in the US each year.
What are the symptoms of subarachnoid hemorrhage?
The most common symptom of a subarachnoid hemorrhage is the sudden onset of a severe headache. Usually, the headache is the worst headache a person has ever experienced. Additional symptoms of a subarachnoid hemorrhage include nausea, vomiting, neck stiffness, fainting, or excessive sleepiness. Symptoms of severe subarachnoid hemorrhage include sudden arm or leg weakness, facial weakness, difficulty speaking, difficulty swallowing, difficulty walking, confusion, or coma.
How does the doctor treat a subarachnoid hemorrhage?
Treatment for a subarachnoid hemorrhage may include intravenous fluids, oxygen therapy, medications, or surgery.
Continue to Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Incidence
- Ashley WW Jr, Chicoine MR. Subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by posterior inferior cerebellar artery aneurysm with an anomalous course of the atlantoaxial segment of the vertebral artery. Case report and review of literature. J Neurosurg. 2005 Aug;103(2):356-60. 
- Edlow JA. Diagnosis of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care. 2005;2(2):99-109. 
- Rosen DS, Macdonald RL. Subarachnoid hemorrhage grading scales: a systematic review. Neurocrit Care. 2005;2(2):110-8. 
- Salary M, Quigley MR, Wilberger JE Jr. Relation among aneurysm size, amount of subarachnoid blood, and clinical outcome. J Neurosurg. 2007 Jul;107(1):13-7. 
- Stiefel MF, Heuer GG, Abrahams JM, Bloom S, Smith MJ, Maloney-Wilensky E, Grady MS, LeRoux PD. The effect of nimodipine on cerebral oxygenation in patients with poor-grade subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg. 2004 Oct;101(4):594-9. 
- Toussaint LG 3rd, Friedman JA, Wijdicks EF, Piepgras DG, Pichelmann MA, McIver JI, McClelland RL, Nichols DA, Meyer FB, Atkinson JL. Influence of aspirin on outcome following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg. 2004 Dec;101(6):921-5. 
- van Gijn J, Kerr RS, Rinkel GJ. Subarachnoid haemorrhage. Lancet. 2007 Jan 27;369(9558):306-18.