Retinitis Cytomegalovirus Home Care
Home care for cytomegalovirus retinitis includes:
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Learn everything you can about cytomegalovirus retinitis:
- The more you know about your condition, the easier it will be to participate with your doctor in making treatment decisions.
- Ask your doctor about good sources for information.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor
- If you are HIV positive learn about monitoring your HIV infection.
HIV Treatment Monitoring
- You should have blood tests for HIV viral load and CD4 count every 3-4 months.
- HIV viral load: measures the amount of virus in the bloodstream
- Your medication is working properly if your viral load remains low.
- If your viral load is high, your doctor may change the dose of your HIV medication, replace one of your medications, or add a new medication.
- CD4 count: measures the number of CD4 white blood cells
- CD4 white blood cells are part of the immune system, which fights infection.
- If your CD4 count is low, then your immune system is weak.
- The CD4 count allows the doctor to monitor your risk for an infection.
- If your CD4 count is low, your doctor may recommend antibiotics, in order to prevent an infection.
Retinitis Cytomegalovirus Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have cytomegalovirus retinitis and any of the following:
Continue to Retinitis Cytomegalovirus Prevention
- Crum NF, Blade KA. Cytomegalovirus retinitis after immune reconstitution. AIDS Read. 2005 Apr;15(4):186-8. 
- Goldberg DE, Wang H, Azen SP, Freeman WR. Long term visual outcome of patients with cytomegalovirus retinitis treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2003 Jul;87(7):853-5. 
- Griffiths PD, Walter S. Cytomegalovirus. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2005 Jun;18(3):241-5. 
- Rahhal FM. Treatment advances for CMV retinitis. AIDS Read. 1999 Jan-Feb;9(1):28, 31-4.