Retinal Detachment Treatment
The most common treatment for retinal detachment includes:
- Laser therapy for retinal detachment:
- A laser creates a scar that re-attaches the torn retina to the underlying tissue.
- Cryopexy for retinal detachment:
- Freezing the torn piece of retina creates a scar that re-attaches the retina to the underlying tissue.
Additional surgical treatment for retinal detachment includes:
- Pneumatic retinopexy for retinal detachment
- Scleral buckling for retinal detachment
- Vitrectomy for retinal detachment
Retinal Detachment Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of retinal detachment.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having retinal detachment again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Retinal Detachment Specialist
Continue to Retinal Detachment Home Care
- Gariano RF, Kim CH. Evaluation and management of suspected retinal detachment. Am Fam Physician. 2004 Apr 1;69(7):1691-8. 
- Sarrazin L, Averbukh E, Halpert M, Hemo I, Rumelt S. Traumatic pediatric retinal detachment: a comparison between open and closed globe injuries. Am J Ophthalmol. 2004 Jun;137(6):1042-9. 
- Sharma A, Grigoropoulos V, Williamson TH. Management of primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment with inferior breaks. Br J Ophthalmol. 2004 Nov;88(11):1372-5. 
- Ung T, Comer MB, Ang AJ, Sheard R, Lee C, Poulson AV, Newman DK, Scott JD, Richards AJ, Snead MP. Clinical features and surgical management of retinal detachment secondary to round retinal holes. Eye. 2005 Jun;19(6):665-9.