Repeated Headaches Overview
Another name for Repeated Headaches is Chronic Headaches.
What are chronic headaches?
A person with chronic headaches suffers from repeated episodes of discomfort beneath the scalp or forehead, or behind the eyes. Chronic headaches are those that tend to occur over weeks to months. Common examples of chronic headaches include muscle tension headaches, migraines, cluster headaches, and sinus headaches.
What are the symptoms of chronic headaches?
Symptoms of chronic headaches depend on the underlying cause. Symptoms range from tension headache symptoms to migraine headache symptoms.
How does the doctor treat chronic headaches?
Treatment for chronic headaches depends on the underlying cause. Options include medications to control pain and lessen the frequency of headaches.
Continue to Repeated Headaches Conditions
- Bandell-Hoekstra I, Abu-Saad HH, Passchier J, Knipschild P. Recurrent headache, coping, and quality of life in children: a review. Headache. 2000 May;40(5):357-70. 
- Bilchik TR. A review of nonvalidated and complementary therapies for cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2004 Apr;8(2):157-61. 
- Colman I, Brown MD, Innes GD, Grafstein E, Roberts TE, Rowe BH. Parenteral dihydroergotamine for acute migraine headache: a systematic review of the literature. Ann Emerg Med. 2005 Apr;45(4):393-401. 
- Jensen R. Pathophysiological mechanisms of tension-type headache: a review of epidemiological and experimental studies. Cephalalgia. 1999 Jul;19(6):602-21. 
- Manias P, Tagaris G, Karageorgiou K. Acupuncture in headache: a critical review. Clin J Pain. 2000 Dec;16(4):334-9. 
- Rains JC, Penzien DB, McCrory DC, Gray RN. Behavioral headache treatment: history, review of the empirical literature, and methodological critique. Headache. 2005 May;45 Suppl 2:S92-109. 
- Rozen TD. Interventional treatment for cluster headache: a review of the options. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2002 Feb;6(1):57-64. 
- Smetana GW. The diagnostic value of historical features in primary headache syndromes: a comprehensive review. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Oct 9;160(18):2729-37. 
- Walker RA, Wadman MC. Headache in the elderly. Clin Geriatr Med. 2007 May;23(2):291-305, v-vi.