Regional Enteritis Liquid Diet
When symptoms of Crohn's disease are bad, your doctor may recommend a liquid diet for a short period of time.
There are two main types of liquid diets:
Clear Liquid Diet
Clear liquids are liquids you can see through. Clear liquids can also contain some nutrition, but are usually not adequate to support the body's energy needs for more than a few days. Clear liquids are easily absorbed by the intestines. Liquids remove the stress on the intestines.
Clear liquids include:
- Bouillon soup
- Fruit juices without pulp
- Popsicles (no pulp)
- Soft drinks
- Sports drinks (e.g. Gatorade)
Full Liquid Diet
This type of diet lies between a solid diet and clear liquids. It is often used by someone who is tolerating clear liquids, but cannot tolerate solid food. A full liquid diet can safely sustain the body for long periods of time.
Full liquids include:
- Cream of wheat
- Fruit juices
- Milk, milkshakes and ice cream
- Nutrition supplement drinks, such as Ensure or Boost
- Pureed meats
- Pureed vegetables
- Soups without solids
- Vegetable juices
- Yogurt and pudding
Continue to Regional Enteritis Taking Control
- Hela S, Nihel M, Faten L, Monia F, Jalel B, Azza F, Slaheddine S. Osteoporosis and Crohn's disease. Joint Bone Spine. 2004 Nov 10. 
- Marrero F, Qadeer MA, Lashner BA. Severe complications of inflammatory bowel disease. Med Clin North Am. 2008 May;92(3):671-86. 
- McKaig BC, Stack WA. Novel approaches to inflammatory bowel disease. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 1998 Jul;7(7):1099-113. 
- Petros JG. Crohn's disease update. Curr Surg. 2000 March - April;57(2):95-103.