Rectal Cancer Overview
Another name for Rectal Cancer is Colorectal Cancer.
What is colorectal cancer?
A person with colorectal cancer has a growth of abnormal cells in the colon that multiply out of control. These cells can form tumors and spread to other parts of the body. Colorectal cancer is most common in people over 50 years of age. It is the second most common cause of death from cancer in adults. The exact cause for colorectal cancer is unknown, but genetics may play a role in determining risk.
What are the symptoms of colorectal cancer?
Initial symptoms of colorectal cancer include blood in the stool, red stools, and black stools. Other symptoms include pencil-like stools, and a change in bowel movement frequency. Later symptoms include abdominal pain, constipation, abdominal swelling, fatigue, vomiting, and weight loss
How does the doctor treat colorectal cancer?
Treatment for colorectal cancer includes surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Continue to Rectal Cancer Incidence
- Andre N, Schmiegel W. Chemoradiotherapy for colorectal cancer. Gut. 2005 Aug;54(8):1194-202. 
- Eisen GM, Weinberg DS. Narrative review: screening for colorectal cancer in patients with a first-degree relative with colonic neoplasia. Ann Intern Med. 2005 Aug 2;143(3):190-8. 
- Hoff PM. New drugs for colorectal cancer. Cancer Chemother Biol Response Modif. 2003;21:817-29. 
- Labianca R, Beretta GD, Mosconi S, Milesi L, Pessi MA. Colorectal cancer: screening. Ann Oncol. 2005;16 Suppl 2:ii127-32. 
- Lacy A. Colon cancer: laparoscopic resection. Ann Oncol. 2005;16 Suppl 2:ii88-92. 
- Lao CD, Brenner DE. Strategies for prevention of colorectal cancer: pharmaceutical and nutritional interventions. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2004 Oct;5(5):417-26. 
- Mendenhall WM, Amos EH, Rout WR, Zlotecki RA, Hochwald SN, Cance WG. Adjuvant postoperative radiotherapy for colon carcinoma. Cancer. 2004 Sep 15;101(6):1338-44. 
- Solum AM, Riffenburgh RH, Johnstone PA. Survival of patients with untreated rectal cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2004 Sep 15;87(4):157-61.