Rat Bite Fever Treatment
Treatment for rat bite fever usually includes wound care for the rat bite, antibiotics, tetanus vaccination, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain and fever.
Treatment options for rat bite fever include:
- Wound cleansing
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Antibiotics for rat bite fever:
- Tetanus vaccination:
- To prevent tetanus caused by a dirty wound
Rat Bite Fever Specialist
Continue to Rat Bite Fever Home Care
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Rat-bite fever--New Mexico, 1996. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998 Feb 13;47(5):89-91. 
- Graves MH, Janda JM. Rat-bite fever (Streptobacillus moniliformis): a potential emerging disease. Int J Infect Dis. 2001;5(3):151-5.