Rash Scabies Treatment
Treatment for scabies usually includes washing clothes and bedding in hot water every day, and insecticide lotions or oral insecticide medications.
Treatment options for scabies include:
- Washing clothes and bedding in hot water every day
- Treat household member and close contacts
- Insecticide shampoo
- Insecticide cream:
- Permethrin (Elimite, Nix)
- Lindane 1% (Kwell, gamma benzene hexachloride)
- Sulfur in petrolatum (2 -10%, with 6% preferred, cream or ointment)
- Crotamiton 10% cream or lotion (Eurax)
- Oral scabies medications:
- Medications to reduce itching:
- Hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax)
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride (Benadryl)
- Cyproheptadine hydrochloride (Periactin)
- Topical corticosteroid creams for itching:
- Treat secondary infections such as impetigo or cellulitis with oral antibiotics
Rash Scabies Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of scabies.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How do I avoid passing the infection to others?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having scabies again?
- Will I need to see my doctor for a checkup?
Rash Scabies Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat scabies:
Continue to Rash Scabies Home Care
- Scheinfeld N. Controlling scabies in institutional settings: a review of medications, treatment models, and implementation. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2004;5(1):31-7. 
- Venna S, Fleischer AB Jr, Feldman SR. Scabies and lice: review of the clinical features and management principles. Dermatol Nurs. 2001 Aug;13(4):257-62. 
- Wendel K, Rompalo A. Scabies and pediculosis pubis: an update of treatment regimens and general review. Clin Infect Dis. 2002 Oct 15;35(Suppl 2):S146-51.