Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care mouth ulcers pain in adults pain in children warning signs Outlook Complications Underlying Cause infections Anatomy
Rash Erythema Multiforme Mouth Ulcers
- Avoid citrus juices and salty or spicy foods.
- Eat a soft diet. Cold drinks can help numb the mouth sores.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Oral numbing sprays may be used in adults and children over 2 years of age. Brand names include:
- Baby Anbesol Gel
- Baby Orajel Teething Pain Medicine
- Chloraseptic oral
- Cepacol Maximum Strength Sore Throat Spray
- Cepastat Extra Strength Sore Throat Lozenges
- Hurricaine Topical
- Orajel Mouth-Aid for Canker and Cold Sores
- Use topical agents such as Gly-Oxide can be used directly on canker sores. You can make your own peroxide solution by diluting 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide in 3 four parts water.
- Use mouthwash after meals or warm saltwater gargles three times a day. Make this with one-half teaspoon (2.5 cc) of salt dissolved in one cup (240 cc) of warm water.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Acetaminophen for pain
Continue to Rash Erythema Multiforme Pain in Adults
PubMed Rash Erythema Multiforme References
- Forman R, Koren G, Shear NH. Erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in children: a review of 10 years' experience. Drug Saf. 2002;25(13):965-72. 
- Leaute-Labreze C, Lamireau T, Chawki D, Maleville J, Taieb A. Diagnosis, classification, and management of erythema multiforme and Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Arch Dis Child. 2000 Oct;83(4):347-52. 
- Letko E, Papaliodis DN, Papaliodis GN, Daoud YJ, Ahmed AR, Foster CS. Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis: a review of the literature. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2005 Apr;94(4):419-36. 
- Prendiville J. Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis. Adv Dermatol. 2002;18:151-73.