Overview Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care itching warning signs Prevention Underlying Cause
Rash Adult Itching
- Cleanse itchy skin with mild soap and water.
- Massage itchy areas with an ice cube or apply a cold compress.
- Take a cool bath or shower to reduce itching.
- Consider oatmeal (Aveeno) baths.
- Try to avoid the substance that caused the reaction.
Medications for itching include:
- Oral antihistamines:
- Prescription oral antihistamines
- Prescription oral corticosteroids:
- Anti-itching cream, such as:
- Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream
- Nonprescription corticosteroid creams, such as a 0.5 to 1% hydrocortisone cream or ointment:
- Prescription strength corticosteroid creams and ointments
- Take prescription antihistamines or corticosteroids as directed.
Continue to Rash Adult Warning Signs
PubMed Rash Adult References
- Abdul Ghaffar S, Clements SE, Yell J. Skin signs of internal disease. Practitioner. 2005 Jun;249(1671):434, 436, 438 passim. 
- Lynde C, Barber K, Claveau J, Gratton D, Ho V, Krafchik B, Langley R, Marcoux D, Murray E, Shear N. Canadian Practical Guide for the Treatment and Management of Atopic Dermatitis. J Cutan Med Surg. 2005 Jun 30. 
- McKinnon HD Jr, Howard T. Evaluating the febrile patient with a rash. Am Fam Physician. 2000 Aug 15;62(4):804-16.