Quadriceps Strain Treatment
Treatment for quadriceps muscle strain usually includes rest, cold compresses, elevation, and crutches or a walker. Other treatments include physical therapy and pain medications.
Treatment options for a quadriceps muscle strain include:
- Elastic wrap
- Cold compresses
- Apply for 20 minutes at a time, 2 to 3 times per day
- Warm compresses
- Should not be used until at least 72 hours after the injury
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Muscle stretching exercises for quadriceps strain
- Massage therapy for quadriceps strain
- Physical therapy for quadriceps strain
- An important part of rehabilitation for all quadriceps injuries
Quadriceps Strain Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of quadriceps muscle strain.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having quadriceps muscle strain again?
- Will I need to see my doctor for a checkup?
Quadriceps Strain Specialist
Continue to Quadriceps Strain Home Care
- Dobbs RE, Hanssen AD, Lewallen DG, Pagnano MW. Quadriceps tendon rupture after total knee arthroplasty. Prevalence, complications, and outcomes. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Jan;87(1):37-45. 
- Goelitz BW, Lomasney LM, Demos TC. Radiologic case study. Quadriceps tendon rupture. Orthopedics. 2004 Aug;27(8):790, 872-5.