Quadriceps Muscle Rupture Treatment
Treatment for quadriceps muscle rupture depends on the severity of the muscle tear. Treatment usually includes rest, cold compresses, elevation, a splint or cast, crutches or a walker, and pain medications. Additional treatment for quadriceps muscle rupture includes physical therapy and surgery to repair the muscle.
Treatment options for a quadriceps muscle rupture include:
- Cold compresses:
- Apply for 20 minutes at a time, 2 to 3 times per day
- Elevation of the leg
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Cast for quadriceps muscle rupture
- Splint for quadriceps muscle ruptures
- Surgery for quadriceps muscle ruptures:
- To repair complete muscle belly tears
- Physical therapy for quadriceps muscle ruptures:
- An important part of rehabilitation for all quadriceps injuries
Quadriceps Muscle Rupture Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of quadriceps muscle rupture.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Will I need surgery?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for another quadriceps muscle rupture?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Quadriceps Muscle Rupture Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat quadriceps muscle ruptures:
Continue to Quadriceps Muscle Rupture Home Care
- Dobbs RE, Hanssen AD, Lewallen DG, Pagnano MW. Quadriceps tendon rupture after total knee arthroplasty. Prevalence, complications, and outcomes. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Jan;87(1):37-45. 
- Goelitz BW, Lomasney LM, Demos TC. Radiologic case study. Quadriceps tendon rupture. Orthopedics. 2004 Aug;27(8):790, 872-5. 
- Hansen L, Larsen S, Laulund T. Traumatic bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture. J Orthop Sci. 2001;6(2):187-8. 
- Shah MK. Outcomes in bilateral and simultaneous quadriceps tendon rupture. Orthopedics. 2003 Aug;26(8):797-8.