Pulmonary Silicosis Underlying Cause
Silicosis is caused by inhaling silica (quartz) dust.
Sources of stone dust that cause silicosis include:
- Granite cutting
- Metal mining
- Packers of silica flour
- Sandstone cutting
Continue to Pulmonary Silicosis Anatomy
- Arakawa H, Honma K, Saito Y, Shida H, Morikubo H, Suganuma N, Fujioka M. Pleural disease in silicosis: pleural thickening, effusion, and invagination. Radiology. 2005 Aug;236(2):685-93. 
- Castranova V, Vallyathan V. Silicosis and coal workers' pneumoconiosis. Environ Health Perspect. 2000 Aug;108 Suppl 4:675-84. 
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Silicosis mortality, prevention, and control--United States, 1968-2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005 Apr 29;54(16):401-5. 
- Linch KD. Respirable concrete dust--silicosis hazard in the construction industry. Appl Occup Environ Hyg. 2002 Mar;17(3):209-21. 
- Rimal B, Greenberg AK, Rom WN. Basic pathogenetic mechanisms in silicosis: current understanding. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2005 Mar;11(2):169-73.