Overview Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care cough in adults cough in children pain and fever adults pain and fever children warning signs wheezing Complications Underlying Cause Anatomy
Pulmonary Eosinophilia Cough in Adults
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Do not smoke and avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Raise the head of your bed at night and sleep on your left side: this minimizes acid reflux.
- Use throat lozenges.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
Cough medication precautions:
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce your ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness. Do not take cough medication if you plan to drive or operate machinery.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Do not take cough medication if you take sedatives or medication for depression.
- Talk to your doctor before you take cough medicine if you have asthma, COPD, emphysema, heart disease or high blood pressure.
Continue to Pulmonary Eosinophilia Cough in Children
PubMed Pulmonary Eosinophilia References
- Minakuchi M, Niimi A, Matsumoto H, Amitani R, Mishima M. Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia: treatment with inhaled corticosteroids. Respiration. 2003 Jul-Aug;70(4):362-6. 
- Mochimaru H, Kawamoto M, Fukuda Y, Kudoh S. Clinicopathological differences between acute and chronic eosinophilic pneumonia. Respirology. 2005 Jan;10(1):76-85. 
- Shorr AF, Scoville SL, Cersovsky SB, Shanks GD, Ockenhouse CF, Smoak BL, Carr WW, Petruccelli BP. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia among US Military personnel deployed in or near Iraq. JAMA. 2004 Dec 22;292(24):2997-3005.