Pulmonary Cancer Anorexia
Many patients with lung cancer will suffer from anorexia, which means loss of appetite. Anorexia is a problem with many forms of cancer, because cancer can affect the body's hormones, digestive system and brain. It is also a common side effect of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Good nutrition is an important part of successful cancer treatment. Adequate nutrition can boost the immune system and help increase the effectiveness of cancer therapy.
Home care for anorexia includes:
- Avoid stomach irritants such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Avoid excessive caffeine and other stimulants.
- Check with your doctor about drinking alcohol.
- Do not force yourself to eat at standard times. Eat when you are hungry instead.
- Concentrate on eating a healthy diet. Avoid junk foods.
- Select healthy, high-calorie foods that you enjoy.
- Eat more frequent, smaller meals.
- Get some exercise every day.
- Keep a daily log of your weight.
- Don't smoke. Nicotine can suppress the appetite.
- Ask your doctor or nutritionist about dietary supplements.
- Ask your doctor if any medications you may be taking can cause anorexia.
- Take any prescribed medications as directed.
- Anti-nausea medications:
- Appetite stimulants:
Continue to Pulmonary Cancer Cough
- Armstrong B, Hutchinson E, Unwin J, Fletcher T. Lung cancer risk after exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: a review and meta-analysis. Environ Health Perspect. 2004 Jun;112(9):970-8. 
- Collins LG, Haines C, Perkel R, Enck RE. Lung cancer: diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2007 Jan 1;75(1):56-63. 
- Field RW, Smith BJ, Platz CE, Robinson RA, Neuberger JS, Brus CP, Lynch CF. Lung cancer histologic type in the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results registry versus independent review. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004 Jul 21;96(14):1105-7. 
- Manser R. Screening for lung cancer: a review. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2004 Jul;10(4):266-71. 
- Pasic A, Postmus PE, Sutedja TG. What is early lung cancer? A review of the literature. Lung Cancer. 2004 Sep;45(3):267-77.