There is no cure for psoriasis. Treatment for psoriasis usually includes phototherapy, topical medications, oral corticosteroid medications, and other medications (systemic agents and biologic therapies).
Treatment options for psoriasis include:
- Phototherapy for psoriasis:
- Series of brief exposures to ultraviolet light
- Often used in combination with psoralens
- Psoralen medications for psoriasis:
- Enhance the effectiveness of phototherapy
- Methoxsalen (Oxsoralen-Ultra, 8-MOP)
- Trioxsalen (Trisoralen)
- Topical medications for psoriasis:
- Topical corticosteroids
- Calcipotriene (Dovonex)
- Calcipotriene and betamethasone topical ointment (Taclonex)
- Tazarotene (Tazorac)
- Acitretin (Soriatane)
- Anthralin (Dithranol, Anthra-Derm, Drithocreme)
- Coal tar (DHS Tar Shampoo, Doak Tar Shampoo, Theraplex T Shampoo)
- Tazarotene (Tazorac)
- Calcitriol ointment (Vectical):
- For treatment of mild to moderate psoriasis in adults over 17 years old
- Oral corticosteroids medications
- Immunomodulators for psoriasis:
- Methotrexate (Folex, Rheumatrex, Amethopterin, MTX)
- Cyclosporine (Cyclosporin A, Neoral)
- Efalizumab (Raptiva)
- Alefacept (Amevive)
- Etanercept (Enbrel)
- Infliximab (Remicade)
- Adalimumab (Humira)
- Ustekinumab (Stelara)
- Skin moisturizers for psoriasis
- Oatmeal baths
- Avoid alcohol
Psoriasis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of psoriasis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for psoriasis complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Psoriasis Home Care
- Aaronson DS, Lebwohl M. Review of therapy of psoriasis: the prebiologic armamentarium. Dermatol Clin. 2004 Oct;22(4):379-88, viii. 
- Afifi T, de Gannes G, Huang C, Zhou Y. Topical therapies for psoriasis: evidence-based review. Can Fam Physician. 2005 Apr;51:519-25. 
- Bruner CR, Feldman SR, Ventrapragada M, Fleischer AB Jr. A systematic review of adverse effects associated with topical treatments for psoriasis. Dermatol Online J. 2003 Feb;9(1):2. 
- Mason J, Mason AR, Cork MJ. Topical preparations for the treatment of psoriasis: a systematic review. Br J Dermatol. 2002 Mar;146(3):351-64.