Prolonged QT Interval Underlying Cause
Long QT syndrome is an inherited condition. Abnormal genes produce proteins that do not regulate the electrical activity of the heart properly. This can cause a life-threatening heart rhythm.
Long QT can also be triggered by electrolyte abnormalities as well as some medications that slow the electrical impulse through the heart.
Continue to Prolonged QT Interval Anatomy
- Chiang CE. Congenital and acquired long QT syndrome. Current concepts and management. Cardiol Rev. 2004 Jul-Aug;12(4):222-34. 
- Khan IA, Gowda RM. Novel therapeutics for treatment of long-QT syndrome and torsade de pointes. Int J Cardiol. 2004 May;95(1):1-6. 
- Khositseth A, Martinez MW, Driscoll DJ, Ackerman MJ. Syncope in children and adolescents and the congenital long QT syndrome. Am J Cardiol. 2003 Sep 15;92(6):746-9. 
- Mancuso EM, Brady WJ, Harrigan RA, Pollack M, Chan T. Electrocardiographic manifestations: long QT Syndrome. J Emerg Med. 2004 Nov;27(4):385-93. 
- Moss AJ, Kass RS. Long QT syndrome: from channels to cardiac arrhythmias. J Clin Invest. 2005 Aug;115(8):2018-24.