Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation guidelines Treatment diet drugs ACE inhibitors alpha blockers AR2 blockers beta-blockers calcium blockers diuretics Rx combinations sympatholytics vasodilators lifestyle national guidelines pregnancy questions for doctor specialist surgery Home Care diet fiber lifestyle self monitoring stress taking control warning signs Prevention Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Types
Primary Hypertension Types
There are two main types of hypertension:
- Primary hypertension:
- The underlying cause for the elevated blood pressure is unknown.
- Over 95% of people with hypertension have this form.
- Primary hypertension is also called essential hypertension.
- Secondary hypertension:
- The high blood pressure is caused by an underlying illness.
- Control of the underlying illness may correct the high blood pressure problem
PubMed Primary Hypertension References
- Aronow WS. Treatment of hypertension in the elderly. Geriatrics. 2008 Oct;63(10):21-5. Review. 
- Kearney PM, Whelton M, Reynolds K, Whelton PK, He J. Worldwide prevalence of hypertension: a systematic review. J Hypertens. 2004 Jan;22(1):11-9. 
- Then KL, Rankin JA. Hypertension: a review for clinicians. Nurs Clin North Am. 2004 Dec;39(4):793-814. 
- Toto RD. Hypertension and kidney literature review 2000. Clin Nephrol. 2002 Oct;58(4):253-9.