Premenstrual Syndrome Treatment
Treatment for premenstrual syndrome may include vitamin supplements, oral contraceptives, antidepressants, diuretics, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain.
Specific treatment for premenstrual syndrome includes:
- Antidepressant medications for emotional symptoms:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Oral contraceptives for premenstrual syndrome:
- May or may not be helpful
- Hormone therapy for premenstrual syndrome:
- Diuretics for premenstrual syndrome:
- Calcium supplementation:
- May help reduce symptoms
- 1,000 to 1,500 mg of calcium per day
- Adults also need 400-600 IU of vitamin D per day
- Magnesium supplements
- Vitamin E supplements
- Vitamin B supplements:
Premenstrual Syndrome Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of premenstrual syndrome.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Do I need to be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for worsening premenstrual syndrome symptoms?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Premenstrual Syndrome Specialist
Continue to Premenstrual Syndrome Home Care
- Johnson SR. Premenstrual syndrome, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and beyond: a clinical primer for practitioners. Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Oct;104(4):845-59. 
- Rapkin A. A review of treatment of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2003 Aug;28 Suppl 3:39-53. 
- Wyatt K, Dimmock P, Jones P, Obhrai M, O'Brien S. Efficacy of progesterone and progestogens in management of premenstrual syndrome: systematic review. BMJ. 2001 Oct 6;323(7316):776-80.