Facts about hypertension:
- More than 50 million people in the US have high blood pressure.
- Internationally, about 1 out of 5 persons have high blood pressure.
- Blood pressure is called the silent killer, because it rarely causes symptoms before it damages the heart, kidneys or brain.
- In the US, 38 percent of African Americans have high blood pressure, and 29 percent of Caucasians have high blood pressure.
Continue to Prehypertension Risk Factors
- Aronow WS. Treatment of hypertension in the elderly. Geriatrics. 2008 Oct;63(10):21-5. Review. 
- Kearney PM, Whelton M, Reynolds K, Whelton PK, He J. Worldwide prevalence of hypertension: a systematic review. J Hypertens. 2004 Jan;22(1):11-9. 
- Then KL, Rankin JA. Hypertension: a review for clinicians. Nurs Clin North Am. 2004 Dec;39(4):793-814. 
- Toto RD. Hypertension and kidney literature review 2000. Clin Nephrol. 2002 Oct;58(4):253-9.