What is pregnancy?
A woman who is pregnant has a fertilized egg growing inside the uterus. Pregnancy ends in delivery of a baby, which occurs normally in about 9 months. Pregnancy is divided into 3 equal parts, known as trimesters. Each trimester is about 12 weeks long.
What are the symptoms of pregnancy?
Symptoms of early pregnancy may include nausea, dizziness, breast tenderness, fatigue, frequent urination, low back pain, irritability, mood swings, and weight gain. As pregnancy progresses, additional symptoms include a progressive increase in the size of the uterus, nipple discharge, constipation, heartburn, lower abdominal pain, leg swelling, and additional weight gain.
How does the doctor treat pregnancy?
General treatment for pregnancy includes exercise, a healthy diet, regular visits to the doctor, prenatal vitamins, and avoiding exposure to smoke, alcohol and drugs.
Continue to Pregnancy Symptoms
- Blenning CE, Paladine H. An approach to the postpartum office visit. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Dec 15;72(12):2491-6. 
- Condous GS, Arulkumaran S. Medical and conservative surgical management of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2003 Nov;25(11):931-6. 
- Magann EF, Evans S, Hutchinson M, Collins R, Lanneau G, Morrison JC. Postpartum hemorrhage after cesarean delivery: an analysis of risk factors. South Med J. 2005 Jul;98(7):681-5. 
- Malamitsi-Puchner A, Boutsikou T. Adolescent pregnancy and perinatal outcome. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2006 Jan;3 Suppl 1:170-1. 
- Nanda K, Peloggia A, Grimes D, Lopez L, Nanda G. Expectant care versus surgical treatment for miscarriage. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Apr 19;(2):CD003518. 
- Ozkaya O, Sezik M, et al. Placebo-controlled randomized comparison of vaginal with rectal misoprostol in the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2005 Oct;31(5):389-93. 
- Tierney JP, Welsh J, Owen P; Effective Gynaecology in Glasgow Group. Management of early pregnancy loss--a complete audit cycle. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Apr;26(3):229-32. 
- Vitzthum VJ, Spielvogel H, Thornburg J, West B. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss in humans. Fertil Steril. 2006 Aug;86(2):373-9.