Pregnancy Breastfeeding Drugs
Not all drugs are safe to use while breastfeeding. This is because some drugs will be concentrated in the breast milk and then passed to the infant. The chemical properties of the drug determine which medications will pass into the breast milk. Drugs that suppress lactation should be avoided. These include: bromocriptine, levodopa, trazodone, estradiol, and large-dose oral contraceptives.
It is important to review your medications with your doctor if you are breastfeeding. Make sure your doctor is aware that you are breastfeeding before you start new medications.
Dangerous medications include:
- Anticancer drugs
- Ergotamine (for migraines)
- Minocycline (a special form of tetracycline)
- Radioactive drugs, such as radioactive iodine, used to treat thyroid disorders
- Recreational drugs, such as marijuana and cocaine
Unsafe medications may also include:
- ACE inhibitors
- Antianxiety medications
- Beta-blocker medications
- Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride
Drugs generally considered safe during breastfeeding include:
Continue to Pregnancy Vaginal Bleeding
- Blenning CE, Paladine H. An approach to the postpartum office visit. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Dec 15;72(12):2491-6. 
- Condous GS, Arulkumaran S. Medical and conservative surgical management of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2003 Nov;25(11):931-6. 
- Magann EF, Evans S, Hutchinson M, Collins R, Lanneau G, Morrison JC. Postpartum hemorrhage after cesarean delivery: an analysis of risk factors. South Med J. 2005 Jul;98(7):681-5. 
- Malamitsi-Puchner A, Boutsikou T. Adolescent pregnancy and perinatal outcome. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2006 Jan;3 Suppl 1:170-1. 
- Nanda K, Peloggia A, Grimes D, Lopez L, Nanda G. Expectant care versus surgical treatment for miscarriage. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Apr 19;(2):CD003518. 
- Ozkaya O, Sezik M, et al. Placebo-controlled randomized comparison of vaginal with rectal misoprostol in the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2005 Oct;31(5):389-93. 
- Tierney JP, Welsh J, Owen P; Effective Gynaecology in Glasgow Group. Management of early pregnancy loss--a complete audit cycle. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Apr;26(3):229-32. 
- Vitzthum VJ, Spielvogel H, Thornburg J, West B. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss in humans. Fertil Steril. 2006 Aug;86(2):373-9.