Overview Symptoms first trimester second trimester third trimester early labor Evaluation downs syndrome fetal movement prenatal checks prenatal risk Treatment 1) childbirth options 2) pain control 3) labor process 4) fetal monitoring 5) induced labor 6) episiotomy 7) forceps 8) cesarean section specialist Home Care postpartum breastfeeding diet breastfeeding drugs vaginal bleeding prenatal diet prenatal medication use prenatal prevention tips prenatal vitamins warning signs Complications minor complications serious breech delivery serious complications serious gestational diabetes serious high blood pressure serious miscarriage serious morning sickness serious placenta previa serious placental abruption serious preeclampsia serious premature labor Anatomy Physiology step 1 ovulation step 2 fertilization step 3 implantation step 4 embryo growth step 5 hormones step 6 first trimester step 7 second trimester step 8 third trimester step 9 labor and delivery
Pregnancy Serious Miscarriage
- Three out of every four miscarriages occur in the first three months of pregnancy, usually between the 7th and 12th weeks.
- Miscarriages are very common in pregnancy.
- Some experts believe as many as 1 in every 5 pregnancies end in miscarriage.
- Reasons for miscarriage include:
- Genetic problems
- Problems inside the uterus or cervix
- Defective egg or sperm
- Maternal hormone imbalance
Continue to Pregnancy Serious Morning Sickness
PubMed Pregnancy References
- Blenning CE, Paladine H. An approach to the postpartum office visit. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Dec 15;72(12):2491-6. 
- Condous GS, Arulkumaran S. Medical and conservative surgical management of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2003 Nov;25(11):931-6. 
- Magann EF, Evans S, Hutchinson M, Collins R, Lanneau G, Morrison JC. Postpartum hemorrhage after cesarean delivery: an analysis of risk factors. South Med J. 2005 Jul;98(7):681-5. 
- Malamitsi-Puchner A, Boutsikou T. Adolescent pregnancy and perinatal outcome. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2006 Jan;3 Suppl 1:170-1. 
- Nanda K, Peloggia A, Grimes D, Lopez L, Nanda G. Expectant care versus surgical treatment for miscarriage. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Apr 19;(2):CD003518. 
- Ozkaya O, Sezik M, et al. Placebo-controlled randomized comparison of vaginal with rectal misoprostol in the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2005 Oct;31(5):389-93. 
- Tierney JP, Welsh J, Owen P; Effective Gynaecology in Glasgow Group. Management of early pregnancy loss--a complete audit cycle. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Apr;26(3):229-32. 
- Vitzthum VJ, Spielvogel H, Thornburg J, West B. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss in humans. Fertil Steril. 2006 Aug;86(2):373-9.