Postpartum Bleeding Overview
Another name for Postpartum Bleeding is Postpartum Hemorrhage.
What is postpartum hemorrhage?
A woman with postpartum hemorrhage has excessive vaginal bleeding after childbirth. Most experts define postpartum hemorrhage as a loss of greater than 500 cc of blood following delivery of the baby. About 1 out of 20 women has postpartum hemorrhage during labor.
What are the symptoms of postpartum hemorrhage?
Symptoms that may occur with postpartum hemorrhage include lower abdominal pain, faintness, or fainting.
How does the doctor treat postpartum hemorrhage?
Treatment for postpartum hemorrhage may include a blood transfusion. Treatment for severe postpartum hemorrhage may include surgery to remove the uterus.
Continue to Postpartum Bleeding Symptoms
- Blenning CE, Paladine H. An approach to the postpartum office visit. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Dec 15;72(12):2491-6. 
- Condous GS, Arulkumaran S. Medical and conservative surgical management of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2003 Nov;25(11):931-6. 
- Magann EF, Evans S, Hutchinson M, Collins R, Lanneau G, Morrison JC. Postpartum hemorrhage after cesarean delivery: an analysis of risk factors. South Med J. 2005 Jul;98(7):681-5. 
- Malamitsi-Puchner A, Boutsikou T. Adolescent pregnancy and perinatal outcome. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2006 Jan;3 Suppl 1:170-1. 
- Nanda K, Peloggia A, Grimes D, Lopez L, Nanda G. Expectant care versus surgical treatment for miscarriage. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Apr 19;(2):CD003518. 
- Ozkaya O, Sezik M, et al. Placebo-controlled randomized comparison of vaginal with rectal misoprostol in the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2005 Oct;31(5):389-93. 
- Tierney JP, Welsh J, Owen P; Effective Gynaecology in Glasgow Group. Management of early pregnancy loss--a complete audit cycle. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Apr;26(3):229-32. 
- Vitzthum VJ, Spielvogel H, Thornburg J, West B. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss in humans. Fertil Steril. 2006 Aug;86(2):373-9.