Post Partum Vaginal Bleeding Treatment
Treatment for vaginal bleeding after delivery may include bed rest and medications to control bleeding. Treatment for severe vaginal bleeding after delivery includes blood transfusions and surgery.
Treatment for vaginal bleeding after delivery may include:
- Bed rest
- Narcotic pain medication:
- Blood transfusion:
- For anemia due to blood loss
- Medications for vaginal bleeding after delivery:
- Oxytocin (Pitocin)
- Ergonovine (Ergotrate)
- Methylergonovine (Methergine)
- Carboprost (Hemabate)
- Misoprostol (Cytotec)
- Medications that promote blood clotting:
- Surgery for vaginal bleeding after delivery:
Post Partum Vaginal Bleeding D and C
In some cases, vaginal bleeding after delivery requires treatment with dilation and curettage or D and C.
Dilation and Curettage
A dilation and curettage (D and C) is a surgical procedure where the inner lining of the uterus is removed. Before this can be done the cervix needs to be dilated. This allows for the passage of special surgical instruments that are used to remove the endometrium. One of these instruments is called a curette. It is used to gently scrape away the endometrial lining, and bleeding tissue that may be left over from the pregnancy.
A sample of the material is sent to the laboratory for microscopic analysis. Recovery from a D and C is very rapid: you may have some vaginal bleeding and mild pain for about a day.
Risks of D and C include:
- Persistent bleeding
- Damage to the uterus
Post Partum Vaginal Bleeding Specialist
Continue to Post Partum Vaginal Bleeding Home Care
- Blenning CE, Paladine H. An approach to the postpartum office visit. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Dec 15;72(12):2491-6. 
- Cameron CA, Roberts CL, Olive EC, Ford JB, Fischer WE. Trends in postpartum haemorrhage. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2006 Apr;30(2):151-6. 
- Magann EF, Evans S, Hutchinson M, Collins R, Howard BC, Morrison JC. Postpartum hemorrhage after vaginal birth: an analysis of risk factors. South Med J. 2005 Apr;98(4):419-22. 
- Maughan KL, Heim SW, Galazka SS. Preventing postpartum hemorrhage: managing the third stage of labor. Am Fam Physician. 2006 Mar 15;73(6):1025-8.