Post Menopausal Bleeding Treatment
Treatment for postmenopausal bleeding depends on the underlying cause. Treatment for postmenopausal bleeding may include estrogen vaginal cream, dilation and curettage, or hysterectomy.
Specific treatment for postmenopausal bleeding may include:
Post Menopausal Bleeding D and C
Some women with severe postmenopausal bleeding will require treatment with dilation and curettage or D and C. This is a surgical procedure that removes the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus. The dilation portion of the procedure refers to the opening up of the cervix. This allows for the passage of special surgical instrument, called a curette, which is used to gently scrape away the endometrial lining. The lining heals after the procedure.
Risks of D and C include:
- Persistent bleeding
- Damage to the uterus
Post Menopausal Bleeding Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of postmenopausal bleeding.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for vaginal bleeding after menopause?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Post Menopausal Bleeding Specialist
Continue to Post Menopausal Bleeding Home Care
- Abouzeid H, Reginald PW. Postmenopausal bleeding on hormone replacement therapy: review of the current referral guidelines. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Nov;24(8):920-1. 
- Epstein E, Valentin L. Managing women with post-menopausal bleeding. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Feb;18(1):125-43. 
- Wagman H. Post-menopausal bleeding. Baillieres Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 1988 Jun;2(2):355-62. 
- White CD. Post menopausal bleeding as a risk factor for endometrial carcinoma. W V Med J. 1991 Jan;87(1):15-7.