The most common symptom of polymyositis is muscle weakness.
Initial symptoms of polymyositis include:
- Arm weakness (bilateral):
- Occurs in both shoulders or both upper arms
- Hand weakness (bilateral)
- Leg weakness (bilateral):
- Occurs in both hips or both thighs
Additional symptoms of polymyositis may include:
Continue to Polymyositis Evaluation
- Choy EH, Isenberg DA. Treatment of dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002 Jan;41(1):7-13. 
- Dalakas MC, Hohlfeld R. Polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Lancet. 2003 Sep 20;362(9388):971-82. 
- van der Meulen MF, Bronner IM, Hoogendijk JE, Burger H, van Venrooij WJ, Voskuyl AE, Dinant HJ, Linssen WH, Wokke JH, de Visser M. Polymyositis: an overdiagnosed entity. Neurology. 2003 Aug 12;61(3):316-21.