Polymyalgia Rheumatica Treatment
Treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica may include physical therapy, oral corticosteroids, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain.
Specific treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica may include:
- Physical therapy for polymyalgia rheumatica
- Calcium supplements
- Oral corticosteroid medications:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
Polymyalgia Rheumatica Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for worsening polymyalgia rheumatica?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Polymyalgia Rheumatica Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat polymyalgia rheumatica:
Continue to Polymyalgia Rheumatica Home Care
- Bird HA, Leeb BF, Montecucco CM, Misiuniene N, Nesher G, Pai S, Pease C, Rovensky J, Rozman B. A comparison of the sensitivity of diagnostic criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica. Ann Rheum Dis. 2005 Apr;64(4):626-9. 
- Caporali R, Cimmino MA, Ferraccioli G, Gerli R, et al. Systemic Vasculitis Study Group of the Italian Society for Rheumatology. Prednisone plus methotrexate for polymyalgia rheumatica: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Oct 5;141(7):493-500. 
- Salvarani C, Cantini F, Boiardi L, Hunder GG. Polymyalgia rheumatica. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2004 Oct;18(5):705-22. 
- Spiera R, Spiera H. Inflammatory diseases in older adults: polymyalgia rheumatica. Geriatrics. 2004 Nov;59(11):39-43.