Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Prevention Complications post polio syndrome Underlying Cause Transmission
Facts about polio:
- The polio vaccine has almost eliminated the illness.
- Only six cases of polio were reported in the United States in 1991.
- Only 537 cases of polio were reported in the world in 2001.
- Polio continues to be a problem in areas with inadequate vaccination programs.
- About 85 percent of the polio cases are in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Niger.
Continue to Polio Risk Factors
PubMed Polio References
- Hull HF. The future of polio eradication. Lancet Infect Dis. 2001 Dec;1(5):299-303. 
- Khan MM, Ehreth J. Costs and benefits of polio eradication: a long-run global perspective. Vaccine. 2003 Jan 30;21(7-8):702-5. 
- Osterrieth P. Oral polio vaccine: fact versus fiction. Vaccine. 2004 May 7;22(15-16):1831-5. 
- Schanke AK, Stanghelle JK, Andersson S, Opheim A, Strom V, Solbakk AK. Mild versus severe fatigue in polio survivors: special characteristics. J Rehabil Med. 2002 May;34(3):134-40.